Saturday, November 3, 2007

My Onc Visit, a retrospective

This is a blog entry I started last Friday while I was getting juiced. I didn't finish and then I left the land of the living for several days. It had some good info so I added the last paragraph and decided to post retroactively. For more recent happenings read the next one I posted earlier today.

We are live at Camp Chemo, which happens to be a perfect place to blog because I am stuck in place with not much else to do. I’ll save my movie for later when I get fed up with the snoring coming from the cubby next to me. All is going well. The only different thing today is that I’m getting a flu shot. Unfortunately, I can’t use my port for that too. It has to be injected into muscle. I thought my port was the answer to everything painful.

I saw the onc today and she is pleased with the progress. The nodes I can touch are fingertip sized now. Isn’t that great!? One more treatment and in theory the cancer should be gone. Another month and a half and I will get a PET to confirm that there is no cancer left. Then the following three months are security chemo to make sure the cancer stays gone. I also realized that I am in the single digit countdown now – 9 more treatments to go. Hey, is that a light up yonder beyond that tunnel?

I asked Dr. Chase about white blood cell counts and got the scoop. Before chemo started my WC (white count) was 8.1. The week after chemo was 4.2, then 3.something, then 2.4, and today is 2.5. They are low and will stay low, but not dangerous. The dangerous point is 1.0 or less.

More good news is that Kelly Kane is officially a Hodgkin’s SURVIVOR. Her final scan came back clean and she is now pronounced in remission. Congrats to her! Her blog is listed as a link to the left.

Some other news, neither good nor bad, is that my hair is falling out fast and furious now. Showering takes twice as long because of hair management. I have to collect as much hair as I can for trash disposal so it doesn’t clog the drain every shower. I would have good use for a pocket lint roller if there was such a thing as I leave hair on headrests, jacket collars, my pillow, and, well, just about everything. Something kinda funny was seeing all the strands flying around like a ticker tape parade when I was blow drying my hair. Only funny until I looked at the floor after all calmed down. Grumble, grumble about the clean up. Thank God I got a haircut and the strands are shorter, yet still not short enough for my strained patience. I see Haircut Part II in the near future. I said I’d wait until it’s noticeably thinner but I didn’t say to whom. Dennis and I concur that we notice; although, no one else would. Perhaps when my sister is here in a couple weeks a fun activity would be to shave my head. Are you up for it sis? Anyone want to be an accessory and have clippers I can borrow? - C

7 comments:

Kelly Kane said...

I'm glad you're in good spirits!! My flu shot hurt like a bitch as well - for like a week!! But hopefully we don't get the flu!!!! :) Good luck with the hair drama, I know it all too well and it was sooo frustrating to have to vacuum every time I had company come over because there would be a huge pile of it outside my bathroom - and since my hair is dark, it's probably more noticeable that your hair piles. If you get too frustrated, definitely cut more off - or if you're ballsy, shave it! It'll make showering much easier! :)

And thanks so much for the nice thoughts in your post - even crazier than being clean (officially) is that I'm going back to work on Monday!!!! It should be interesting :)

Hope you get some rest this week and feel good soon!!

XO
Kelly

Anonymous said...

I'll bring up Sean's trimmer, Sis! I am TOTALLY game!

Anonymous said...

Hair does not a person make. You are much more than that. You will look beautiful with or without your golden locks. I loved it when you had your really short haircut. I am so happy for Kelly. We will soon be able to say the same thing about you. Stay strong and upbeat as you sounded when I talked to you this Sunday evening, November 4.

We love you so very much and wish there were more that we could do.

Love always,
Bill and Mamacita

Anonymous said...

You know I'll be there if you need a helping hand! And I've got back-up clippers if you need them. They belong to Erik and have done a fine job of shaving his head through the years! :-)

Sending you tons of virtual hugs!
XOXO, Cheryl & Erik

P.S. Wally sends his love to Sadie.

Anonymous said...

Sis, you may want to borrow Cheryl & Erik's clippers as Sean says his won't work well... if you had a beard that needed trimming, that would be another story! =)

Candace Kuchinski said...

No problem. I will ask Cheryl and Erik if we can borrow their clippers this weekend. Or does Bill have some? I'll investigate.

Candace

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I must say that the hair is no big deal! You look great! It's that other guy that we've got to do something with...hehe j/k...love you Bill!

I love the photos of you Mel and your Mom. You guys have an amazing chemistry!

I hope you are feeling well. You are always on our mind. Take care and let us know if you need anything...Wishing you and Dennis a Happy Thanksgiving!

Love you lots! xoxoxox
Michael, Chris & the kids