Saturday, November 3, 2007

In the eye of the storm

Ahhh....sweet weekend. My good weekend. As a bonus, it's a windy, rainy, cold day thanks to Extratropical formerly known as Hurricane Noel. That's why I entitled this entry the eye. It's a perfect day to hunker, collect one's thoughts, and recap this week's events. For me that started with NAUSEA. Once again, the side effects directly after chemo elude prediction. Last time, I had NO nausea. This time, while no vomiting, undertones of queasiness for four days. Yes, I took the Ativan (the stupid, sleepy stuff) and even tried the other pills that scared me because they were known to make people involuntarily twitchy. Freaky. I didn't want to be sleepy, so I took scary pills with a Benadryl chaser which takes care of that weird side effect. I believe that is when I slipped into that marathon sleepfest Dennis mentioned. And that was the alternative to Ativan? Come on!

My parents came up for the weekend and brought food, even if it was moose meat. Yippee! It only cost us a solid day of watching Lifetime network. Dennis escaped to the basement while I was stuck due to my lack of energy to move off the sofa or even utter a protest. Minor price, I say, for their fabulous help around the house. Thanks 'rents. Oh, the moose meat was quite tasty if you're wondering.

Dennis and I were supposed to drive to camp on Sunday, but I felt too nauseous and fatigued to travel hours in a car. On Monday, I still wasn't feeling hot, but we were running out of time. We had to be back on Wednesday and I really wanted to get up there one more time. I decided to go, gambling that I was going to be feeling better at any moment. It was a tough car ride, didn't talk much and tried to sleep the whole way, hoping I didn't just make a mistake.

Everyone has their special places that are worth nauseous car rides and Camp is one of mine. It is at Upper Dam between two beautiful lakes, a place so pristine and untouched. There are no phones, no internet, no noise, and it's darn COLD this time of year. Dennis was my hero, the firemaster, making sure that camp stayed toasty with its two wood-burning stoves. He got up with me twice each night. He stoked the fires and I used the restroom. The place stayed right around 60 degrees while it dropped into the 30s overnight. By Tuesday, someone flipped a switch and I felt 100% better. Ah, finally something that is reliable treatment to treatment - Turning Point Tuesdays. From then on it was a great mini-vacation. I went for walks, cooked meals, and took pictures which are in the slide show.

Mouth sores came and went this week, again. Something else predictable. I got blood drawn locally for a CBC, where I have become a lab VIP. I went to check in at registration like last time and she said I have a recurring account, no need to check in, go directly to the lab. I'm too special for paperwork. At the lab there's a standing order for them to take my blood whenever I show up. So, In theory, I can go in more than once per week and they HAVE to take my blood. Not going to test it, but that's V-I-P I tell you. Next time I'll be aware of others waiting with no paperwork and give them a wink or a nod. And I want my name engraved on a little gold chip and hung on a wooden board with other VIPs. Thanks.

Oh, great job everyone coming up with boat names for our little vessel. They have been good, but nothing has jumped out and grabbed us as yet, so we're still taking all your thoughts. Love, Candace
Make a PhotoShow Full Size

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis, you crack me UP! I love your VIPness. =)

Some new boat names...
•Victory
•Boneheads - a good plug for the biz
•Sadie Muffin - can you name a boat after your dog?
•Tranquility
•Picture Perfect
•Sister of the Sea
•Mainely Mine - get it? Corny, I know.
•Freebie
•Weekender
•Serenity (or Serenity Now!)

See you in T minus five days!!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Candace,

Thank you for sharing your brief vacation through your pictures. You are correct. It looks so peaceful there at camp. Next year, I hope you can go more often. Melanie has give you lots of names for your new sailboat. You will have a great time getting it ready for launching.

What kind of names could you give it? What about "To Life" or Dynamic Duo or Dogsense? Good luck finding the one that jumps out at you.

Love always,
Bill and Mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photos of the peaceful place - it looks glorious and it made us happy to know that you were there and enjoying it.

Once again, your photographs are stunning. Maybe one day you can teach me how to catch light in that special way. But somehow I think that light just comes from within you, Wonderful Candace!
XOXO, Cheryl

Candace Kuchinski said...

Sister,
You have to read Mom's comment on Dennis's boat post if you haven't already. Gotta love her!

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS! I bet Mom is mortified. Love you Mamacita!!

Duane said...

Wonderful photos, especially the views of the lake!