Friday, February 22, 2008

I Love Friday nights!!

Back in the day I might have loved Friday nights for the first opportunity of the weekend to stay up late and party. I still believe Friday nights are the beginning to the weekend, but alas, as an old fart I love Friday nights because it's the first opportunity to rest and lie like broccoli. In my warped Puritan view, daytime Friday is productive because it is a workday, which makes Friday night's slackness so much sweeter and deserving. And there's something about knowing the following day is "my time" to send me into an even deeper joy over Friday nights. To top this one off, it is snowing outside, a perfect excuse to hunker and seal myself off from the world's stresses. Hooray for Friday! Hooray for the weekend! Guess where I'm NOT going tomorrow? That's right - radiation - all the way in freakin' Bath. I figured out today that I am spending $10 per day in fuel just to go to radiation, and that's in the 30-38 mpg car. I hate dropping that kind of cash on an environmental hazard.

While I was south for radiation, I popped over to the chemo treatment center to have my blood work done there for a change. It was close by and we could cut out the unreliable middle man known as Pen Bay. My white count was 4.2, red count normal, and my INR (blood coag) was 2.3, within range. They had me wait for these results out back in the chemo lounge. I wanted to protest this arrangement, feeling anxious about being back in the familiar sights and smells, but I was also curious. I'm pleased to say I was totally fine. I was in a completely different place as an "outsider". I spoke with the nurse who had made me vomit just because she stood beside me doing her job of hooking up my drugs. She was worried the sight of her would make me sick again! I tested my boundaries and forced myself to scan the room to see all the current chemo patients. No gastric activity. I guess not all of my memories there are bad ones.

Happy Friday night and may you have an enjoyable weekend ahead of you. Mine will be filled with baths, tea, and movies (and a little work, I must confess, but under restful conditions).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Friday!! Enjoy your weekend Sis!

xoxo,

Mel

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Candy! Love to connect via phone.. whats good times for you?

xo j

Anonymous said...

Friday night, a movie and popcorn, always come to mind for me! Keep smiling and dancing!
Love,
foghornbarb

Oh, you may wish to try Kale rather than Swiss Chard. If you cut it into really tiny pieces and cut for a long time it is more paletable. I make a wonderful kale vegetable soup.