Monday, February 11, 2008

The Maine Democratic Caucus & Radiation Begins

Sunday was the Maine Democratic Caucus. I was shocked to learn we caucused in Maine. I've been voting for 14 years in Maine. How is it I have never caucused before? I thought we were a primary state because I KNOW I have voted in a primary before. I distinctly remember voting for Howard Dean in 2004. At any rate, I was off to my town hall at 2pm for my first ever caucus.

It was a healthy gathering of 75 Democrats with standing room only. Apparently it was the most attended caucus ever, probably because people like me never knew we caucused in this state until now. I was thinking it would take half hour to do this caucusing thing, but it actually took over 2 hours! I brought Sadie based on my assumption it was going to be quick. She was a trooper, though, waiting in the car. Luckily it was quite warm on Sunday.

We had to elect party officials and election clerks and pass by-laws. Ugh! This ate up 45 minutes in of itself! No one wanted these jobs, so with a little pressure and unanimous votes every time, one by one the positions were filled. Finally, we got to the good stuff. In our tiny room, we physically separated ourselves into left side for Obama, right for Clinton, front of the room for uncommitted. It was 39 for Obama, 30 for Clinton, and 6 uncommitted. The uncommitted group was too small to get a delegate, so they had the option after discussion to join a side. You could see the demographic supporting each candidate. Hilary's side was majority female. Any of the young folks at the caucus were on the Obama side, including me. Men seemed to be with Obama.

Then, the floor was opened up for comments. This was when things got interesting, and lengthy. The two points I heard coming from the Clinton camp was her experience and health care. They were also skeptical that Obama could actually change "the machine" - our current political system. Hilary has more experience with "the machine". The Obama side liked his stance against the war from the beginning and how he inspires hope for a the kind of America we dream about. At least Obama is willing to TRY to fundamentally change "the machine". I gave him my vote for this reason.

This part could have gone on forever. Before comments became heated and personal, our convener suggested we call for a recount, at which point anyone who wished to change sides could (no one did) and our six uncommitted could choose a candidate. All six of them chose Clinton. So, the final count including three absentee ballots for Obama came to 36 Clinton, 42 Obama. South Thomaston has four delegates to send to the state convention, and we'll be sending two for each candidate. If the undecided group was big enough to be considered viable, they could have sent an delegate for the candidate Undecided. Crazy.

Anyway, that was Sunday's news and it's Tuesday. Radiation has begun. I'm already sick of the drive after two days. Also, what has struck me is how I feel after the treatment already. The nurse said I would probably sail through the first two weeks, so I wasn't expecting to feel anything for two weeks. Well, I notice a "hot" chest immediately, like a sunburn, that gradually subsides. I also notice I am tired afterward. Not like the fatigue I had with chemo where I couldn't even muster energy to cook, read, walk, etc. I muster energy to run errands, dog walk, and otherwise push through my day, but I'm really wanting a nap. It very well might be driving two hours each day that makes me tired, not so much the zapping. I almost didn't go to yoga last night I was so tired from the day, but I'm glad I did. That helped to reenergize me. I guess I need to do all my heavy exercise and brainy work in the mornings. It's not going to be Tuesdays I look forward to anymore, but Saturdays instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That whole caucus thing IS interesting! South Thomaston seems to have a lot of delegates (but what do I know?).

As for the zapping... I am sorry it is "zapping" your energy, too... just keep this in mind: 2 down, 28 to go!! AND THEN YOU ARE DONE!!

xoxo!