Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day Baby

I received some exciting news yesterday. My friends Jeff and Kathrina had their baby boy at approximately 7 am on Valentine's Day. Her due date was actually February 14th. Pretty good for a first baby. I've been told babies are often born during storms. Something about the low pressure gives them added incentive to come on out. True to the theory, Kathrina started contractions Wednesday night, the day of a nasty snow/ice/rain storm. Eight hours later in the early morning hours of Valentine's Day, Felix Perrill Scher came into this world. Kathrina was very brave and birthed o'natural. She said there was a whole lot of screaming (right in Jeff's ear. Poor Jeff.), and it felt like it would never end. In hindsight, though, she says "it wasn't too bad. It could have been worse." I've posted a couple of the photos Jeff sent in an email of the little bundle of joy.


On Wednesday, I went to get blood drawn for another check of blood thickness. They had a tough time tapping a vein. Four pokes by three people and finally we were in business. My number was 1.1 again, same as pre-surgery, even though I went back on Coumadin and the Lovenox shots for three days post surgery. And so, they wanted me to get it checked again today and it is 2.1 now, within the range we're looking for. This game of "how thick is my blood now?" is fun and all, but I want to know when it will end. I keep checking my right arm and I think it's gone down with the port removed, but sometimes I think it hasn't, and it definitely still has not shrunk to left arm size. My plan if the right arm never gets back to original size is to have the left arm meet it halfway with a little weight training, left side only. Yea, that should work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sister!! What a cutie pie... what an eventful weekend!! =)

Here's hoping the arm goes down to normal size soon.

Let's see... 4 treatments down, right? We're getting there!!

Duane said...

Thanks for sharing the terrific photos! :)

BTW, "Yes we can!" :) Si se puede! :)