Thursday, February 21, 2008

Radiation Update

A little birdie told me I was due for a post. Overdue, I say. It has been a rough week so far, but the good news is that tomorrow I will be halfway done with rads. Actually, I only have one more week of neck and armpit rads, and the last week is concentrated on just the biggest guy in my chest.

The first week of radiation was a breeze. The hardest part was, and still is, the commute. I drive an hour and change on a two lane road, inevitably getting behind pokey puppies, for a less than 10 minute treatment. Then, I am back on the road for home. And this is EVERYDAY! I already spend a lot of time driving my car for work, now this. My second home has become my Volvo! I swapped cars with Dennis these past couple days for something different. On the other hand, I have discovered a fantastic sandwich place in Wiscasset. Yumm.... I look forward to stopping there on my drive home. Whatever gets us through, right? Someone had suggested I get a book on tape. I always complain that I don't have enough time to read, so this could be a silver lining. Read any good books lately that have such a compelling story they won't become just background noise while my mind wanders? Therein lies my problem with books on tape.

Just this week I have been feeling the effects of the radiation more and more. My skin is red and tight like a sunburn. Every night I apply this gel which has the consistency of grease to my chest. Yesterday the doctor said I'd start to feel a sore throat and will get a cough. He meant any day now as today, my throat is sore when swallowing. I still eat anything I want, and everything. I am hungry all the time! Sadly, I will have to cool it on the spicy food for awhile. I love it so much, but eating it makes my chest burn. Then, there's the fatigue. One of the rads technicians commented that I looked tired today. It's visible and detectable in my voice how tired I am, just ask sister. Like I said before, it's not the debilitating kind of fatigue. Just the "man, I need a nap" kind of fatigue. The RN Cindy explained that I'll have only so much energy that I can either spend all at once, or gradually, but then I'll have to take it easy for awhile to recharge the batteries. Because I'm continuing to work, the weekends will be my time to recharge. I'll be laying low on weekends, making as few plans as possible, avoiding obligations, being a homebody. Doesn't bode well for my raging social life (sentence is dripping with sarcasm). I find drinking tea and taking baths are great "recharging" activities.

The new diet is going very well. We have hit upon some fantastic new dishes and some lackluster ones too. The winners are curried chickpeas with tofu and coconut basmati brown rice, black bean soup, gingered greens with tofu, miso sauce with steamed veggies, garlic and rosemary potatoes, and red lentil soup. We are eating fish, chicken, and a little red meant too. I've discovered I'm not a fan of Swiss chard. The taste makes me think of horse barn for some reason. My body is craving sugar. I think I am going through withdrawals, but like the cheating smoker, I don't make it any easier on myself because I have a little bit here and there, just so I continue to want more. I probably should just cut the sweets cold turkey because I am an addict.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I went through a sugar withdrawal phase myself. Back when I thought I was going to India to do my Master's thesis I adopted a vegetarian diet for a couple of months to prepare. I cut down on sugar as well. I was craving processed sugar a lot, but learned that having some fruit would dull the craving enough to get by. After losing too much weight on such a diet, I went back to meat, but I don’t crave sugar nearly as much anymore. Stick to it and your body will adjust.

Try this recipe. I cooked it once with tiny flavorful potatoes and it was good.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ethiopian-Cabbage-Dish/Detail.aspx

Anonymous said...

Was that a Freudian slip with the Swill Chard? I thought that stuff was called Swiss Chard! And it's okay not to like ALL the leafy greens.

Even though you and Em are inspiring, I have not changed my diet one iota! I should though... but man, those sugar cravings... and you know I don't have much will power!

I wish I had thought of the books on tape thing before sending out your care package! I have two of them at home (haven't listened to them yet, but they are supposed to be good). Maybe I'll send you a little secondary package next week.

Here's to halfway done!!

xoxo!

Mel

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I meant to tell you that I am experiencing sympathy pains, Sis! I started getting a sore throat yesterday and it's still with me today (I tell myself that's what it is and NOT the makings of a cold). =)

Love you TONS!

Candace Kuchinski said...

Yes I meant SwiSS chard! I must have had a dyslexia moment with typing there. If you'll notice, the S's are exactly opposite the L's on the center line. I'll chalk it up to being tired. Thanks for the recipe Em. I will definitely check it out. We are cooking from one cookbook at the moment and are itching to try more things.

Unknown said...

Everything is better drenched in garlic, butter and a little salt... even Swill chard. You could try rainbow chard. It tastes a little sweeter than swill to me.