Friday, February 8, 2008

Deported!

We tied up loose ends today before starting radiation therapy on Monday. First, I had to go back down for another simulation after the first set of blocking was not mounted correctly to effectively block my throat. This time we had success. I may end up with two more tattoos. At this rate, if I wanted to make "real" tattoos out of them I could have quite the butterfly collection with a good representation of the various species.

Next, we went to the hospital to be deported! My INR number was 1.2 this morning and he said he wanted it under 2 to do the procedure. Last Friday, it was 3.5. I stopped taking Coumadin Thursday and ate all the leafy greens I had. Leafy greens are high in Vitamin K which thickens your blood. I even had scrambled eggs with kale this morning (actually very good). Whatever worked, worked, and I was able to get the port out this afternoon. It went very smoothly. There was no IV or anesthesia this time, just local novocain. Local only made me a bit nervous, so I popped a couple Ativan beforehand. As far as I was concerned, he was still slicing into my chest. The familiar loopyness kicked in and I chatted with the doc the whole time. He told me he was taking his family to Sunday River and his son wanted to learn to snowboard. I tried to make a deal with him that I would teach his son how to ride if he'd let me out on the mountain. Unfortunately, that didn't fly.

For the next three days, I am injecting my stomach with the Lovenox twice a day and going back on Coumadin. If my right arm shrinks back to normal size, I may only have to be on the Coumadin for a month. It'll be longer if it is stubborn.

I'm planning on a quiet weekend of watching movies, seeing friends, and my one project of gussying up our dining room table.
Hope you all have a great weekend too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Candace-
Glad to hear the port is out and the surgery went smoothly. All this talk about kale makes me want to make the Tuscan soup recipe I have with kale as one of the ingredients. You take good care of yourself and my best to Dennis..
Bridget

Anonymous said...

Here's to home improvement projects!! I hope your table is sufficiently gussied. Good luck tomorrow Sis! xoxo!