Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Yay! Improvement!

Hello one and all,

I really want to share the great trip I had aboard Angelique this past weekend where at times I actually forgot I'm fighting cancer, but some good medical news trumps a good feeling story for now. I saw my onc today and she confirmed what I had been thinking this past week which is that the nodes I can touch (in neck and armpits) are feeling smaller. I needed to hear it from the professional before I started my TAKE THAT CANCER! dance. She said I should start noticing reduction from the first treatment and I was skeptical, but hopeful. I am so relieved that I am responding to the ABVD. On the down side this week, a new side effect...mouth sores. They are not bad right now. Eating and brushing my teeth are still pleasant experiences. Cryotherapy can help reduce mouth sores as the cold limits the amount of chemo drug reaching the mouth. That means Popsicles for me at the next Camp Chemo! Speaking of which, Dennis and I are going back to Camp Chemo this Friday afternoon for treatment 1B. I am not nearly as anxious about this one. I am more anxious about using the port for the first time. They will do another blood count then too, but I am feeling really good right now, so am not worried.

Tomorrow I do expect a big fat headache as I finally have the time to grab the bull by the horns and tackle the pile of insurance correspondence and docotor bills that have started to mount. Ugh! We're talking hours on the phone with the insurance company until I understand where every nickel and dime (more like hundred and thousand) is coming from and going to. I work too hard to blindly pay out, and get this, I already found an office visit that I shouldn't have been charged for. I just want to do my part to keep the system honest and in so doing, hopefully, lower premiums to an affordable level for most people.

When I come up for air after having my head buried in paperwork tomorrow, I hope to share my wonderful weekend of sailing complete with photos of a happy me.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis! That ROCKS that your nodes have shrunk a little bit already!! Keep up the good work lady!

And hey, any excuse to eat popsicles...

Piper said...

Hey there,
First, I am SO, SO sorry to hear that you have been going through all of this. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
Second, I am so sorry that we lost touch again. You have been popping into my mind over the last few days and you came up in a conversation with Jay tonight. I took that as a sign that I needed to get back in touch with you. I googled you and came across this blog.
I will continue to check in to read about your progress and improving health.
When you are rested and get a chance I would love to hear from you. You can email me at Pipers4@q.com.
Take care. I'll be thinking of you.
Love,
Ann

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the shrinking Nodes!

I didn't know that cryotherapy worked for mouth sores. I think I'll try it this week. mmmm

popsicles and fudgepops and slushies..oh my!

If you haven't already done it, I really recommend buying a box of baking soda, and some salt. Put them in your bathroom and after meals, or whenever you remember (especially before bedtime) put a teaspoon or two into a cup of water. Swish it around your mouth and spit it out. The salt helps to cleanse the mouth (germies aren't so much saltwater swimmers) and the baking soda brings down acidity (that can aggrevate the sore spots). You might already be doing this, but I found it works really well for me. Take Care
Morgan

Anonymous said...

Hi Candace-
It was wonderful to spend some time with you this weekend and share some of the be-you-ti-ful fall sailing.Many thanks for the "live strong" bracelet which I'll wear in honor of you and Billy who is facing his own version of the same disease in Tallahassee. I'll keep you in my heart and prayers-Bridget

Carissa said...

Yippie!!! Keep shrinking!!!! :) :)

Anonymous said...

Candace: So happy to hear that you had a great sail. Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but please (for the piece of mind of all of us... and we don't have too many pieces to spare) verify with your onc that the "shrinkage" is real, and not the apparent/relative result of the rest of you swelling up after overeating aboard Angelique. Love, John B. in CT.

Nonni said...

Hi, Candy.

Ann told me about your blog and what you've been going through. And, I wanted to let you know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Attitude is everything when you're kicking cancer, and your attitude is amazing! Love it! It's really inspirational, my dear. Keep fighting the good fight! I'll be fighting with you on my knees!

Love,
Sue(zanne) (Bergeron) McGuire (any other names I can work in?)

Anonymous said...

Hey there cancer butt-kicking woman!
We just knew that we would be coming home from our trip to hear good news about your spirit and your treatment.
This blog is such a wonderful idea. Thank you, Dennis, for including us.
We have been sending you long-distance hugs but now that we are home we can't wait to wrap you up in big Candace sandwich!
Attitude is everything, Warrior Princess. And with the knight known as Dennis by your side you are going to be Victorious!
Big love, Cheryl and Erik

Anonymous said...

Sister! I am thinking super positive thoughts for you to day as you have your second trip to Camp. Love you TONS. I'm going to send you a playbill from my show.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Good morning Dennis,
Thanks,
foghornbarb

Duane said...

Excellent news! Keep kicking cancer's ass! You rock! Looking forward to reading more good news.

Wishing you continued strength and happiness,
Duane