Monday, October 22, 2007

The importance of white blood cells

Okay, so we are post chemo now and I actually went to a wedding the next day. It was no big deal. I rested all day so I had energy enough to go, and nausea was in check this time. The questionable part was being around many people and their various stages of health. See, every week I get a complete blood count, and every week my white blood cell count has been dropping. Your white blood cells are the part of your immune system that fights germs. I don't know exactly what would happen if I got sick, but I know it would be bad. It was frustrating being at the wedding constantly trying to avoid physical contact with my friends and not shaking hands when meeting someone new. I was being a jerk for my own good. I did congratulate and hug the bride and groom. I couldn't be that much of a jerk. Despite that, I am glad I was there. It was a good time.

Don't you just want to hug me? But you can't!

Like Sis eluded to, I was dead tired on Sunday and Monday after chemo. It hit me like a ton of bricks and I was not prepared because I didn't go through this the first time. I got depressed wondering if I was going to feel this way from now on. I slept a lot and felt no more rested. In fact, sleep was not the solution. Even when I was not sleepy I still could not muster energy to get off the sofa. To add insult to injury, mouth sores were getting worse. It was a low point and this was worth crying over, more than once. Dennis was awesome and took good care of me, but I knew he was worried and it bothers him when I cry. By Tuesday I had my mojo back and I went to work, mouth sores and all. I can't recall when the mouth sores eventually went away. I got too busy to notice, but I am free of them at the moment just in time to have chemo again this Friday.

It may seem like it, but chemo is not the enemy. It's on my side and it's helping. Bugs and germs are my enemies right now. Chemo, though, is like the "inside man" sabotaging my fight by keeping my white cell count low. I had such a busy week work wise last week I thought I'd pushed it too far as I felt achy, fatigued, and had a slight sore throat. I'm so hypersensitive to signs of sickness that I worried and fretted until I could get to a thermometer. My temp was normal, thank god. Short of locking myself in the house, I think I am being good about taking precautions to not get sick. I'm drinking lots - fruity waters and echinacea tea mostly. Eating more than my share to keep up strength. I go to bed early. And I swear I could be the poster child for the "Wash Your Hands" campaign. Let's hope these things will keep me healthy (Well, that's relative isn't it? You know I mean germ-free). - Candace

P.S. - I just learned that Felicity Huffman's character in Desperate Housewives has "the Hodge". I don't watch the show, but I may start just to see how they play out the cancer parts.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am signed up to get my flu shot tomorrow, so I will be in the clear to give you lots of hugs when I see you in just a couple of weeks!!

Sara and Jonn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara and Jonn said...

I was very happy to see that you posted. I am sorry to hear that you were feeling so run down. I know that it is the chemo doing it's job, but it must get very old, very quickly. I hope this next round doesn't leave you as drained. Your attitude towards the chemo is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Just to answer the question you didn't really ask...

If you were to get sick sometime while your white counts are low (especially in the 1.0 and lower range) You will probably be told to go to the ER, where you will tell them that you are a chemo patient with low counts and they (if they have any brains)will give you an exam room away from the coughing hacking masses. Among other things you will have your blood drawn for cultures (from your port and usually from an arm vein for comparison) They take your temp and other vitals. They may start you on IV antibiotics and order a CT or x-ray depending on other symptoms (especially if they suspect pneumonia. If your counts won't be coming back up for a while, you'd probably be admitted to the hospital while they get figured out any symptoms, antibiotics and let your counts rise. They may slap a sign on your door that says "Neutropenic-Do not Enter without washing hands". So mostly you eat hospital food for a while, feel sick and get some top notch antibiotics. then when you're well, you'd get another chemo :)

I've been admitted a couple times for low white count/fever stuff. it's mostly a hastle, but one to just deal with. maybe buy yourself a dvd or two to bring with you to watch IF you ever have to be admitted.

That's what most of my hospital experiences have been like.


Take Care and keep up the hand washing!
Morgan Cyr Holsinger

Sean Rodriguez said...

keep on rockin, miss candance. we new yorkers are very proud of you in your fight. take good care of my wife when she comes to see you, and get healthy soon so that you can come fix my house! lots of love.

Anonymous said...

Candace you look beautiful! i'm thinking about you a lot, wishing you lots of strength and happiness. virtual hug,
iris

Anonymous said...

HUGS for sure!
foghornbarb

Anonymous said...

Candace-
Just do as us Southerners do-air hugs and kisses-
Bridget