Thursday, October 4, 2007

Proud Owner of a Brand New Mediport

First of all, I want to thank everyone, including my new cancer-fighting friends, for leaving comments on my blog. I love them all! It's a great feeling knowing people are with me every step of the way and that others care about my well-being.

Now a caveat: Today is the first day I've experienced real fatigue, so I can only hope this entry makes sense when all is said and done. I'll rebound, no worries. Just over did it a little in the past few days.

On Tuesday I had surgey to implant a port under my skin in my chest that feeds into a major vein. The idea behind it is that chemo drugs can be administered and blood can be drawn without painful IVs constantly in my arms. Frankly, my little wimpy veins would never have held up over time, so I am very glad to have the port. I thought I was going to see my snazzy port in action today because I had my first blood count after starting chemo. Mikee started poking around to find the siliconey center of the port and it really hurt. Duh, it was surgically implanted just 2 days ago! Alas, I wimped out and opted for a prick in the arm (my other arm) this time. Test driving my new toy will have to wait one more week. I have read the owner's manual and am ready to go. No joke, they give the patient an owner's manual for the "hardware" like I chose this Boston Scientific product off the shelves for "installation". These ports can actually stay in people for years, so I guess it's not out of the question that some people self-stab and need the instructions.

The procedure took a whopping half hour. Ah, but I waited in my little johnny, in my little room, with an IV protruding from my hand for several HOURS. Operating room delays and emergency appendectomies (how dare they!) pushed my surgery from 12:45 to the very last one of the day. In the meantime, I haven't eaten a thing since dinner last night and I'm thinking they can save the anesthesia becasue I'm going to pass out from hunger. I kept thinking about the chocolate cake I passed on the way to my room. My nurse brought that in to celebrate her birthday month (and to taunt me). There had better be a piece left for me when this is all over. In addition, there was the strong aroma of coffee wafting down the halls ALL DAY LONG. I imagined the nurses downing yet another cup in between patient visits. Bill went home to be with the dogs eventually and it was just Mom and I playing the waiting game. Finally, my surgeon Dr. Curtis popped in for a visit looking cool and calm despite his crazy day. Okay, here we go. As I was ramping up for my big moment, the rest of the ward was a complete ghost town. I passed empty room after empty room on my way to the OR. I was Curtis's last stand for that day. Ewww, sorry, bud pun.

That means I'm done for now. I'll be sailing on Angelique this weekend, so you all go and have fun too. BTW, my blood counts were excellent! Yay! - C

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, my port pretty good for the first few days. I'm a week out and have used it twice. Once the swelling goes down and they don't have to push all around to find it..it goes a lot easier.
I commend you on your sensibilities. I went through all 12 treatments of ABVD through my arm veins and ended up getting crazy vein pain (imagine that, your veins don't Like crazy cocktails running through them for hours) I'm loving my port tho. Don't sweat the fatigue either, just do what you can when you can. And think of a few fun, easyish things you can do for when you get a burst of energy (or steroid restlessness).
Take Care
morgan

Anonymous said...

Sis, I am glad the surgery went well and so sorry you had to wait!!! The burning question: Did they indeed have a piece of cake left for you after the surgery?!

Anonymous said...

Hi Candace I don't know if you will remember me but my husband John and I sailed on the Labor Day cruise for several years. It sound so dumb but I'm so glad you got your port I have been getting chemo for 5 years now and searching for those stubborn veins is awful, It sounds as if you are doing well. I have been praying for you. I know Dennis will take good care of you. Much love Elaine

Anonymous said...

That was quite a day waiting for the port to be implanted. Sad to say there was no cake left by the time the surgery was over. I don't now who Candace was more worried about as far as hunger goes, her mom or herself. Who can eat at a time like this. She came through it like a champ. Life at Camp Chemo should be a little easirer this coming Friday, Oct. 12th. I wish I could be there each and every time she has chemo. Dennis will be at her side. Bill and I can fill in when he is unable to go. He has been a real helpmate through this. I want to thank him for the great care he is giving her. Thank goodness he can cook. He can put on a great and wholesome meal. Dennis will be sure Candace eats the proper food. We love her so much. Thank you to everyone who adds comments to her blog. I know she really appreciates them. Good luck to all of you who have been or are in the process of battling cancer. You are very strong and courageous people.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work!

foghornbarb

Unknown said...

Hi Candace,

What a small world! I'm glad you found me!! So, you're a newbie, welcome. I'm glad you've got your blogging site. It has helped me tremendously along my journey. It's also helped others to follow and to learn. Hodgkins is a very misunderstood cancer. It doesn't get much attention either. That's why I believe it's important to get the word out there that there is no cancer that you would want to get if you got cancer!!! What a stupid thing to say. (Sorry, had to vent.)

So, it sounds like you've got great support which is very important. You know how to reach me, so if you have any questions, or want to vent, just message me!

I wish you the best of luck and remember to Keep Smiling, Fighting, & Laughing.

Love & Prayers,
Jen
www.jenniferwilley.org