Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My First Week without treatment

Early this week the radiation in my armpits gave up its grip. The pain and tenderness went away and in its place, my graying skin began to peel like sunburn. The new skin underneath is pretty pink and smooth, though. Nice! I’m guessing that by tank top season I’ll be good to go. That was the last of my side effects beside my slightly puffy, which I’m going to see a physical therapist about next week.

I actually did not think much about NOT driving to Bath everyday for radiation. I was still busy, which made me wonder how I made time back then to go to Bath everyday? Simple. I just did. We all just do what we have to do and adjust. I did notice the fact I only had to fill the gas tank once last week. I was pleased to see how relatively little fuel I was using daily. In some ways I am glad I have been able to move on from treatment so quickly and easily and back into my life’s routine. On the other hand, I should pause to take a breath each day at the time I would have been going down to radiation and be grateful that I don’t have to.

Post Cancer Life lessons For All – Lesson #1 – Acknowledge that which you are grateful for. Sounds like Thanksgiving, and it is, only more often than once a year. It will often bring a smile to our faces to think about how good we have it. Remember the little things, too, like your indoor plumbing, your pet, the local green space, and the friendly barista who makes your coffee.

On the wedding front, Dennis and I are still in the spreading the news phase. We have thrown around places and dates but are no closer firm plans, other then to say fall…probably. First, we are tackling the guest list. Getting the tough decisions out of the way. Also, Dennis bought be a lovely diamond for my engagement ring and we’ll be going back to out friend Luke, the jeweler, donated gold in hand (thanks a bunch family!) asking him to cast 3 rings for us. He will recycle the gold and mix it with silver for durable, malleable, “white gold” looking rings.

Oh, and I already have my dress. I wasn’t even looking for it yet, but I guess it was meant to be. Before I tell the story of my lucky dress, I must warn the fancy people that they might be appalled by what they are about to read. My dress comes from Marden’s in Rumford, Maine. We didn’t end up going snowboarding on Friday because it was blowing 50 mph, so we went to lunch and stopped to check out this new store on our way out of town. I saw these simple ivory “prom” dresses and my brain started clicking. Why not, I said. Do I care that the tag reads “for Target”? No. I’m not so presumptuous. The dress actually looked great on me! And fit perfectly. No alterations necessary! The kicker is that it cost a whopping $10! Are you fancy people still breathing? I know some of you are worried, but you’ll just have to trust me. I only need the thing to hold up for a few hours, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sister! Here's to new pink skin!!

Even a "fancy person" like myself (as I suppose my citification and preference for gourmet cheeses makes me), I am thrilled you found a dress you like for $10. That rocks! I can't wait to see it, so you'll have to send me pix.

SO exciting about the ring in the works - can't wait to see that, too!! Will it be ready in three weeks so you can you wear it when you come visit!?

xoxo!

I've got my wedding planner hat on now, so I'll let you know if I have any interesting ideas for your big day. =)

Sara and Jonn said...

Congratulations and great job on the dress finding. It doesn't matter where you got it or the cost, just that you like it.

I am happy to hear that life is going well for you. Thanks for the reminder on being thankful, I think we all need it from time to time.

Kelly Kane said...

Hey Candace! I read your posts all the time, and your comments to me too! Sorry I've been slacking on replying to you! I think I've been taking a cancer mental break :)

I'm sooooo excited for you to have found your wedding/prom dress! And for $10!! That means more money to be spent on the honeymoon! :)

Oh and yes, you and Dennis and maybe your sister better be at the bonanza, at least you and Dennis, I mean come on, it's only a few hours from you! :)

I'm excited for your new skin peeking through. Enjoy being healthy again!

XO!
Kelly