Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Good Check Up

Hey all one or two of you still reading! How's it going? Last Wednesday we, Dennis and I, went to see my oncologist, or so I thought. Turns out my oncologist took a leave of absence for an indeterminate amount of time starting in August. Okaaay, whatever. So, we saw another onc in the practice that we actually both liked better. Go figure. Anyway, she did a physical exam and I checked out great, lump-free, spleen normal sized, etc. And the most important thing we did at the appointment is decide to get my CT scan and the follow up interpretation of said CT scan on the SAME DAY. I didn't know we could do that! Why didn't anyone suggest this before?! See, this onc, drives up to the hospital in Belfast, just north of us, regularly, so she knows how far it is for us. This is why we like her. She has common sense. So, my CT and next onc appointment is scheduled for December 11.

Now it is full speed ahead with the wedding which is less than two weeks away. It's crunch time and it feels like there is so much left to do. My lifelines of sister and mom can't help me with all this little stuff because it is buying and arranging locally. I've been testing and inquiring about wines and beer, getting utensils and serving dishes, chicken, lobsters. This weekend is getting decorations, cleaning the house in preparation for company, and getting more and more food. Gotta make a guest "book" and evergreen garland to boot! The pen is flowing freely over the checkbook now. Woo-hoo! That is fun.

Tomorrow I am getting my haircut for the first time since chemo. I debated getting it cut at all. I still think it looks cute as is and am still curious what it would look like long and curly. There's time for that. Right now, I feel a little scraggly and would get an esteem boost with a new cut, so I'm going for it. I will take some pictures and post them afterward.

Let me give you a Morgan's garden update while I'm rambling. The garden was a huge success! Right now it is dying...because it's time, not because I'm killing it. We got oodles of green beans, many beets, tons of carrots, and a plethora of tomatoes. I've been harvesting and freezing like mad. Made 24 servings of spaghetti sauce, chopping 32 cups of tomatoes! We are making the lasagna for the wedding with my sauce. The herbs did great too. I have frozen some basil and will need to do something with the rosemary and parsley soon - dry, freeze, or transplant and bring indoors. I will not lie. It has been a lot of work. I can understand why many people don't do this for themselves anymore. I have been liking the squirreling of food. I feel like I am being self-sufficient and doing what my grandmothers would have done. With the future of this economy up in the air, this life skill of living off the land might come in handy.

5 comments:

Sara and Jonn said...

Hi Candace,

I still check your blog often to see how things are going. I can't wait to see pics of the new cut. You have always looked great with shorter hair. I am looking forward to seeing pics of the wedding too. Much luck with the last minute to-do list.

Sara

laulausmamma said...

Hi Candace and Dennis - so glad your check up went so well. Sounds like the wedding plans are coming along just fine - don't stress over the small stuff...do what's important first...if the little stuff doesn't get done...so be it! Relax and enjoy the day. Can't wait to see pictures. Lots of love and happiness to you both.
((HUGS))
Susan (laulausmamma)

Kelly Kane said...

Look that's at least 3 people reading your blog including me!!! :)

I can't wait to see the haircut pics! I also can't wait for your wedding for you. We suck at planning visits, but perhaps I could come visit in Nov? Or we'll just wait until next Spring :) It's doubtful I'll be motivated to take a trip there in the yucky winter!

Anywho, glad to hear you're doing well. And I'm glad you kept up the Morgan garden. Maybe you should mail her hubby or mom a picture of it before it totally dies? I bet they would LOVE it.

XO

Duane said...

Sorry I hadn't checked ur blog for awhile, but that doesn't mean that I haven thought of you two. :)

Woah! Maybe you mentioned it before and I forgot, but I didn't know that you two were getting married. Congrats!!! :) How awesome!!!

I'm sure you going to give us all the details on your blog and/Forum. And of course, PICTURES!!!

Sending u and Dennis lots of love and happiness! You deserve it so much.

Anonymous said...

Everyone is so darn sweet! Thanks for you wonderful comments, I know Sis appreciates them. It looks like we've got everything we need for the wedding - I can't believe it's in just a few days! I head up to Maine tomorrow (while fasting for Yom Kippur)... that'll be a treat. I'll make sure we get lots of pictures posted to the site!