Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ups and Downs

Life is full of ups and downs, and sometimes they don't nicely alternate for balance. Seems like I've been getting a pile up of downs lately, but then again, it's our nature to focus on the bad news, right? As for the ups, a few mentionables. Bekah, who's blog is listed to the left, has reached her "magic" number of cells harvested to begin her stem cell transplant. It was a long, hard road for her but she did it! She wasn't confident for a time there and began to look at other options to a SCT. She endured and I am so proud of her.

I am snowboarding again. I've been three times now since my last ride in December. Two Sundays ago, Dennis and his brother Ted called it "Vintage Day" because they brought 19 year old boards to ride. These are boards each of them owned early in their snowboarding careers, and they hadn't been on one since. They rode those old girls surprisingly well. Dennis and Ted were surprised by how well the old technology actually rode. I even got on one, having never ridden on something that old and weird looking, and had no problems. A snowboard is a snowboard is a snowboard. They'd shoot me for saying that you know.


Dennis and Ted with their very old gear

Me on a 1989 Burton.(click on it for a better view)

A neutral is that I've started seeing a physical therapist for my lymphedema. I've had two sessions with her and it seems the lymphadema is the tip of the iceberg as we discovered there is actually more damage from the radiation. The lymphedema is minute and hardly noticeable, but the scar tissue in my chest, neck, and back is extensive. I constantly feel like I am carrying the weight of the world in my neck and shoulders, even when I'm not stressed. She massages my arm, armpit, port scar, neck and shoulders. Last session we ventured into acupuncture a little as she put four needles in my legs for general immune system function. I only go once a week because that is what I can afford, but I feel like I could use it more often. And, yes, I can perform some exercises on my arm, armpit, and chest myself, but I'm so bad about it. Ooo, I can feel your unsympathetic thoughts already.

Now, for the downs. Remember back in January I raved about the woman who was walking dogs for me while I went through radiation/chemo? I went so far as to call her a saint. Well, I'm calling her something else these days. She has decided to leave me and start a competing business for the "sake of her family", she says. She wasn't earning enough money working for me, although she never told me this any of the times I asked. I liked her work ethic so much I would have paid her more if she had told me she was hurting. If she had said she was going to landscape, or waitress, or ANYTHING else to earn more money it would have settled better with me. I am kicking myself for not listening to the little voice in my head that warned me to have her sign a non-compete agreement in the beginning. ARRGH! It's a very competitive market up here for pet sitting because so many people are jumping into it. She may not prove to be competition to me, but the gall of what she did irks me. I can't do anything about it because we had no contract, but I have every right to be angry and to call her on her ethics, or lack thereof. Eventually, I will mellow out and call on her to fill in for me once in awhile. Why not? She knows my clients already and I know she's responsible.

Then, my father made my head hurt last week. He had his appointment with the oncologist. She wants to stage his disease so she needs to see another CT scan before they proceed. They couldn't get him in where he usually goes until April 29th. Seemed like a long time to wait, especially since he is in pain probably because an enlarged lymph node is pressing on a vein and causing his leg to swell. So, I call his doctor and explain to her that he is in a lot of pain and can he please get a CT scan sooner. He can, if he goes to a different facility, 15 minutes from his house. He could have his CT scan this week and be on the medication by the end of the week, which the lymph nodes would hopefully respond to quickly and he could be out of pain sooner. No brainer to normal people. Dad is not a normal person; however, and has refused this option choosing to wait in pain until April 29th. He says he wants to go to the place he's familiar with. A CT scan is the same everywhere Dad! I felt dejected that he didn't want my help. I thought I was doing a good thing and was expecting a much different response. At least he thanked me for my efforts. I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to relieve themselves of pain as soon as possible. Whatever. I've done what I could do. I can't help it if he doesn't want to help himself.

Finally, on the wedding front....We think we've decided on the Camden Snow Bowl for a location and it will likely be over Columbus Day weekend. The Snow Bowl has a lodge, lots of parking, a kitchen, tennis courts, pond, hiking, ball field, and a covered deck. Great place for a party. Everyone will have to bring a change of clothes for the activities, or just dress casually to begin with. Food will probably be lobster, chicken, and something veggie. Cake and homemade ice cream (that we all help make) for dessert.

8 comments:

Kelly Kane said...

Ugh I'm annoyed for your business woes. That totally sucks. I hope things work out. As for the wedding it sounds fabulous! And Columbus Day weekend is a terrific idea! My parents were married that weekend and they always get to enjoy a long weekend for their anniversary :)

Hope you're doing well, hang in there and let me know if you need anything. OR if you get antsy and want to take a voyage to Boston, let me know!

XO

Unknown said...

Wow. Talk about a roller coaster ride. Unfortunately, getting back to your "normal" life comes with all the "normal" annoying things that life brings.
Sorry to hear that your dad is making strange decisions. Parents tend to do that.
The competing dog business thing just sucks. I’ll make a wish that she F’s up soon and alienates her clients so they come running to you. Heehee. Me evil.
Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Big hunks o' bummer, Sis. If you need to vent some more,you know where to find me. I'll be home tonight cleaning!!

I send you lots of love and hugs and can't wait to see you TOMORROW!!!

Sara and Jonn said...

Sorry to hear about your downs. I was so mad (for you) when I read about your employee. That really sucks! I am thinking positive thougts for it working out for you!

I am also sorry to hear about your dad's stubborn-ness (probably not a real word, huh?). Maybe it is just his was of staying in denial a bit longer. He might be scared of what the scan might show and this is just his way of dealing with it - by putting it off. I think that it was wonderful of you to call and help out.

I am happy to see you did have a positive thing - snowboarding and wedding plans.

Hope things are getting better.

Sara

Anonymous said...

Hello My Dearest Candice,

Rollercoaster would be a totally understatement, if I ever saw one. This life, the diagnosis, the treatment. And you have done an absolutely marvelous job.

Thank you for thinking of me this week. One more month, and then, I am all done as well :)

Know, I'm thinking of you and Dennis, and you and yourfamily now begin to take care of your father, as well.

Bumpy road, we all hope, it will b a well worth one. I want to know the date of this wedding beautiful, when you two have picked one!

Tons of Love,

Bekah

Anonymous said...

So happy for you and Dennis. Just wish the Labor Day Alumni were going to witness the wedding aboard the Angelique. However, Dennis would probably feel safer if we were all out of town!
All the best to you both and may you live long and happy lives.

Dennis said...

I LOVE the labor day alum....I just don't want to sail with you all on my wedding anniversary every year like Mike does....lol...Besides, if Mike marries us, he needs to be in and not out sailing with you all.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SISTER!!! I know it's been a fun week (visting NJ, MD, DC) and a rough week (non-arriving buses, skunks) but today's your special day! I hope you and Dennis have something awesome planned. I love you SO much!