Saturday, January 19, 2008

Toughest Decision of My Life

I had started my post earlier today and then stopped to grieve. One of my internet cancer friends, Morgan, passed away Friday night. Her blog is listed to the left. She corresponded with me faithfully since my diagnosis in September, coining the nickname Hodgkin's Warrior Princess. Her blog was both humorous and inspirational. After reading her blog for the first time, I knew I wanted to adopt a similar positive attitude about my journey with Hodgkin's. I will miss her wit and good advice.

No matter how much information I research and how many people I talk to, I cannot fully grasp this disease. I'm not sure anyone can, amateur or professional. It doesn't make sense who gets it first of all, and then who recovers and who relapses or who succumbs. It's frustrating and none of it is fair. Sorry, I am not following Morgan's example of being positive. You know I am most of the time, but right now I'm sad, confused, scared, and angry.

I have to make a very tough decision about the next step in my own treatment and of course I don't want to make a mistake, but in reality there is no way to know what the "right" decision is for ME specifically. And the wild roller coaster ride called the "Hodge" continues with a sharp banked turn. Or to put it another way, we are at a fork in the road on this journey. While the blood clot of earlier was a roadblock in my path, this is a decision to take a different path, but is it the right one? Or am I happy with the old road?

Yesterday was a big day as I had a meeting with the radiation oncologist in the morning, then my onc, then chemo. Well, chemo never happened because the meeting with the rad onc opened our eyes to an alternative treatment that does not involve any more cycles of ABVD. He says I did indeed have bulky disease in my chest and I am a good candidate for radiation. Wait a minute. Bulky disease? According to my onc I was "borderline bulky". What gives? He said any tumor big enough to press against my SVC (big vein) he'd consider bulky. News to us. Furthermore, we were shocked to learn that my regular onc was actually on the same page as this guy per their phone conversation while we were there. More news to us.

Geez. I expected to get some facts, talk about the pros and cons, and then we all would reach the conclusion that radiation wasn't right for me. We'd thank him for his time and leave satisfied that we were on the right track. That's how I saw it going in my head. Instead, he shows us a hidden road and makes some compelling arguments that this is the better road to Oz. I felt caught off guard and paralyzed, but I realized I'd have to let this sink in later. Right then, I figured I should pay a little closer attention and try to ask intelligent questions of the rad onc. Man, I would have done internet research and had a list of questions like I did with my onc had I known rads was seriously on the table. As far as I knew, the plan was 6 cycles of ABVD.

Anyway, what I learned about radiation. Radiation has been curing Hodgkin's longer than chemotherapy. This was his first argument and I found no comfort in this whatsoever. Medical advancement like safer and more effective drugs can make the "old" treatment defunct. Next, it is somewhat standard to use less chemotherapy and less radiation together, called combined modality therapy, to mitigate the toxicity of both, and still achieve a 90% cure rate. Here is where it gets fuzzy. Some studies claim combined modality therapy is more effective than either rads or chemo alone. Other studies say just chemo is as effective as combined. Then there are the side effects of radiation. Nothing comes for free with cancer treatment. Radiation of the chest and throat causes a dry cough, scarring of the lungs, sore esophagus, and red, irritated skin. It increases one's chances of developing thyroid problems including thyroid cancer, lung cancer, and breast cancer down the road. This is where I say "Holy *&%@!". Hey, but you've got to remember my chances of getting leukemia are higher because I've had chemo. My rads treatment would consist of four weeks driving an hour each way everyday M-F. Uh, can I get a frequent fill-up discount please?

I was quite anxious to leave his office and process. Dennis and I went to Starbucks and sat across from each other shaking our heads. Below are some snapshots Dennis took of the wild emotional range of Candace that morning.




Onto the regular onc visit. She explained her agreement with rad dude. Because I have had problems with the port and I get sick before I even get treatment, she started thinking combined modality might be a better way for me to go. I told her I can handle the chemo. In my opinion, my chemo treatment has been going along better than most and I have nothing to complain about. Oh, and there is ambiguity in my latest PET scan. The rad onc interpreted the report as some lighting up in some of the nodes that could indicate residual disease. My onc interpreted it as metabolically active brown fat that showed uptake. Whatever that is, it's benign. Again, who do I believe? In the face of all this cross-interpretation, we have decided to seek a third opinion at the Dana Farber Institute in Boston. Perhaps we should have done this in the beginning, but no matter, we are going to do it now before I make any decision how I want to continue. We should have that appointment next week.

I have high hopes for some epiphany while I'm there, but I think it's going to come down to what I'm comfortable with. I hate thinking with rads I could be setting myself up for cancer all over again 20-30 years from now. On the other hand, with rads I can feel more confident that any residual Hodge will be taken care of and that I won't relapse. The odds of remission from a fairly quick relapse are only 50% and the treatment is often stem cell transplant. The folks on the Lymphoma Board Forum feel it's best to kill this Hodge completely now and not worry about what MAY or MAY NOT happen in the future. But is this just society's short-sighted, here-and-now view talking? Even with the rads there is no guarantee of no relapse. I have so many questions and so few sound, conclusive studies to research for answers. And as I've seen over and over again in people's stories, we can make the best decisions possible, but the outcome is out of our hands.

It's difficult to get an appointment for simulation, mapping the fields on my body where they'll aim the beams, and the rad onc had a cancellation for Monday, so I am going ahead with preparations for radiation on Monday, but won't start that treatment until I've met with Dana Farber and make a decision one way or the other.

If anyone has opinions or stories about radiation, good or bad, now is the time to share as I'm weighing the pros and cons and am seeking info from anywhere.

7 comments:

Kelly Kane said...

I know how you're feeling about everything. Morgan was my favorite cancer pal! We would IM from time to time, and I would try and send her funny packages here and there to brighten her days. She will be missed. I'm planning on sending flowers or something (they might prefer donations or whatnot) so once I find out more details I'll keep you in the loop. I'd be happy to sign you and Dennis' names as well.

As for the rads... I think most people have this same confusion. Honestly, I didn't want to do them at all, but I wanted someone to tell me what to do as well... so that's the good thing about Dr Fisher. He's really smart, has lots of stats and research in his head, and will answer any of your questions. I actually made him make the rads or not decision for me, afterall, he's the one with all the training for the hodge!

Also, to make you feel a little better about him - he's super well-known and I think he's actually kind of hard to schedule with. He's somewhat of a hodge guru and was actually on Nightline a few months ago as well. There's a few people on the board that have seen him as well. Also one of my college friends randomly had the hodge before I knew him and he had Fisher for an onc as well.... So basically, you should feel like you're in good hands.

Let me know if you need anything. PM me or email me.

XO

Kelly

Duane said...

Hey Candace,

Though I'm of course not an expert (just the recipient of such treatment), it's my understanding that it's indeed standard for many first-time Hodgkin's survivors to receive what you've described as the combined treatment of ABVD and radiotherapy. I myself received 6 cycles of ABVD and then, several rounds of radiotherapy to the mediastinum and lower neck. I tolerated the chemo quite well and although the radiation in the end wasn't that bad, it was the much more difficult of the two. For me, it interfered with my swallowing and eating making it painful but after the treatment the discomfort eased rather quickly.

I think you're doing the right thing: seeking another opinion. Go to Dana Farber and see what the experts there tell you. It's important you feel comfortable moving forward.

The Hodge is like 85% curable the first go around with traditional treatment, so you're in a very, very good camp. :)

Doubt and frustration are natural. We're not robots, but living, sentient beings. But the important thing is that as you've demonstrated to us all so well that you keep pushing forward hopeful despite the expected challenges.

You're gonna kick the Hodge into the grave! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Boo,
Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you all the time. I was wondering how things went yesterday and I could not wait to long onto your blog and get the scoop. Definately NOT what I was expecting to hear about your meeting with the rads onc and I am so sorry to hear about your friend Morgan. I am praying and hoping that you are able to find the answer you are looking for after you have met with the Doc in Boston. I wish that I could be there to hug you and make you laugh with my WICKED Dance Dance skills. Whenever you need a good laugh just remember me trying to play that damn game! Hang in there, I love you! :) Nay

Kathryn and Ari said...

Yikes, Candace! That is so much information to process. Can you get some additional medical opinions? Maybe drive down to Boston for a consultation or email a researcher in the area? I can ask my brother (a physician) to scope out a name or two if that's helpful.

Keep your head up: you're brilliant when you smile!

Unknown said...

I've followed a few blogs of people who have been challenged with blood diseases after losing my mother on 12/29/05 to Leukemia. You mentioned having an increased chance of getting Leukemia because of the chemo. That is what is believed to have caused my Mother's Leukemia. She was diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer in late 2004 and had both chemo and then radiation which concluded late June 2005. She was later diagnosed with Leukemia on 12/3/05 and we lost her 26 days later. She was only 59 yrs. old. The doctors did conclude that chemo was the cause of her Leukemia. She had the option of either just radiation or both radiation and chemo which combined were supposed to increase her chances of beating the cancer. So of course we opted for both as we didn't even know there was a chance of developing Leukemia from chemo. Unfortunately that was probably from lack of research and exploring treatment options that I will regret for the rest of my life. After being diagnosed with Leukemia, her organs were already compromised from the previous treatments, so when she started the chemo for Leukemia which was 10 times stronger, her body just couldn't withstand the treatment and she succombed to infection. I don't know that this would necessarily have any impact on the decision you're faced with. Just a little background on what brings me to your blog.

It sounds like you're in good hands and are making good decisions. Luckily you have the benefit of time to do so. And that will make a big difference in your ability to explore options which is very important for treatment of any form of cancer from what I've learned in the past 2 years. Best of luck to you in your decision making process. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend Morgan. It's very difficult, I know.

Anonymous said...

Sis - I loved your "various emotions of Candace" photos. Amid all this turmoil, I am so happy you can still laugh at yourself. That positivity is so important.

Bill told me you were all tattooed now and Mom asked me last night if you were going to be permanently tattooed. She's so cute.

Keep me posted re: your appt with Dr. Fisher and good luck making this difficult decision!! I can be a sounding board if you need one (even though I know you've got lots of great resources for that).

Can't wait to see you in April when we can celebrate your victory (and your birthday, of course).

Love you!

Sara and Jonn said...

Hi Miss Candace,

I don't have any words of wisdom or advice or first hand knowledge to help you make this difficult decision. All of the people that I know that have had radiation didn't have a choice but to have it to fight their cancer. I am thinking of you and know that you will weigh out the options and make the best decision for yourself. Much luck to you with your visit to Dana Farber as well as the Rad Onc. Keep us posted.