Monday, January 7, 2008

Mondays

It's 9am on Monday and I am just waking up from the fog I've been in all weekend. Let's see what I've missed. I know presidential hopefuls have been campaigning in New Hampshire, I know Dennis has been playing a lot of Tony Hawk, and I know it's warm out because I hear the dripping of melting snow and the occasional "thwump" of snow sliding off the roof. We are officially in a January Thaw over here in the Northeast. Temps will top 50 degrees somewhere in Maine this week.

An old friend is coming to visit on Friday all the way from California. I bet she'd like to have the 50 degrees while she's here. Sorry Jenea, you get the thirties and it's all my fault because I wouldn't let you come on a chemo weekend.

Thank God, too. It was a pretty horrible one. First, it's back to the drawing board with anticipatory nausea. I really wasn't too worried about it this time because I did so well last time. I took my Ativan and I changed my scent to a strong, pink grapefruit lotion. The huge step backwards happened so quickly with just a slight whiff of the other and it was over. I sat in my blue chair, and had Dennis hand me a bucket. I used that damn bucket twice. Even after she gave me double dose of Ativan. ARRGG! I hate the drugs!

Go figure, I don't remember the ride home. Dinner was toast, I think. Breakfast was...well, who cares, it didn't last. I tried to entertain myself by surfing the web, but that sent my gastric juices into a tizzy. Suppose they knew I was surfing lymphoma blogs? So, I stayed in an Ativan stupor all day Saturday, and Sunday I had to have a change of scenery... you guessed it... the couch. Here I managed to watch a couple movies on Movieplex station. It's just one level up from Lifetime.

Dennis made fish and potato with a side salad for dinner. It was well done except I took a few bites and immediately had stomach pains. Not nausea, but wince and curl up in a ball pains. Ironically, I entertained the idea of inducing vomiting just to get relief, but I knew that was a slippery slope. Early on my onc said it's not a good pattern to get into. Take my Ativan was the moral of that story. Instead, I curled up and waited for sleep to come. I woke up once in the middle of the night and the pain was still there, but this morning I am fine. The moral of this story is, try sleep as a simple cure.

They may have told me what my counts were but I was too out of it to remember. I'll have to fill in that part later. My right arm is still bigger and I seem to remember my oncologist saying I could have permanent lymphadema like breast cancer patients get. I am not dwelling on that depressing news because how do we know it is not the coumadin or my port still causing trouble? I will wait until it is all over to pass that final judgement, thank you. I said I'd talk to a radiation oncologist this week to learn more about it. No one is sold on this option, but it doesn't hurt to talk.

It is only Monday, so I best be taking full advantage of naps because tomorrow is turnaround Tuesday which means pedal to the medal and GO! - Candace

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sister! I am so sorry this round was horrible for you... maybe you should strap a sented something to your nose next time. True, you'll look a little silly, but this way no other smells can sneak through!

I am glad you are feeling better today though. Keep resting and Tuesday will be here before you know it!

I send you lots of love and hugs!!

- Mel

Unknown said...

I'm sure your arm will be totally fine once you get back to a normal life sans port.

I like Mel's idea about strapping something to your nose. You should get a dust mask and stick a yankee candle car air freshner or a fabric softener sheet in it :)

Kathryn and Ari said...

Candace,
What a drag! Glad to hear you're making it out of the stupor--and in just enough time to catch some of this crazy warmth around here. Hope you and Sadie get some good steps before the return of winter!
Love,
Kate and Greg

PS- Have you tried sucking on sliced fresh ginger for the nausea? I know folks who swear by it.

Sara and Jonn said...

Hope turn around Tuesday is going well for you. I am sorry you had such a tough round of chemo again. I was really hopeful that it wouldn't be too bad since the last one seemed to improve a bit. I'm not too sure about Mel's suggestion, but it if works then go for it (just make sure to get a picture because it would be quite amusing - after the fact of course!). Maybe you can see how creative you can get in making a mask of sorts - I am sure with Mel's creative talents she could come up with something pretty good! Take care of yourself. Have a great time with Jenea!

Sara

Anonymous said...

Sending you a long-distance hug from Georgia.
All my best,
Bridget

Anonymous said...

Well, it's already Thursday so I'm sure you're feeling great. It's going to be a sunny day so soak it up - it heals the soul! :-)

I love the dust mask idea. I'm sure you and Dennis have full-on respirators that you can rig up. If not, you know you can borrow mine. Besides, if you've got it then I can't do any dirty work at the house!

Sending you huge hugs! XO, Cheryl