Monday, December 3, 2007

Santa Sunday and First Snowfall

Yeah, and in that order too. We go up to the mountain on Sunday to ride and I don the Santa outfit for charity and to get a few free tickets. I'm thinking, I'm glad I didn't pay full price for a ticket because the conditions weren't that great. Then Monday, today, we get over a foot of snow! Arrrrg! Where's the love Mother Nature? Huh? Doesn't she know I have cancer and there are select days I can ride so it'd be nice to have the snow on THOSE days? Ah, well. We did find a little good stuff on Sunday that was fun to play in. I apologize that my personal photographer "spaced" as he likes to explain, so there are no photos of me as Santa. I'd fire him, but he does take a nice picture when he remembers.

We did snap this one the night before when we dug out the Santa suit complete with his white locks. Since I had no locks, I borrowed his for the evening to go out to dinner with friends. They laughed, mission accomplished, and I took it off because it was really itchy.

It was really nice hanging out at home too in the snowstorm. Below is my handiwork from the day. Isn't she a beauty? I'm so proud that I thought enough to drape the silver garland this year instead of mindlessly wrapping it around and around the tree. I guess watching those stylist on the photo shoots be ridiculously precise with placement rubbed off on me a little. It's unclear in the photo, but that's an angel on the top. She is appropriately hovering above the rest of the tree, but somehow it looks odd and I think I might have to cut the top to bring her down a bit. See, the stylist influence.

It seemed so easy to do the tree this year. Normally, we wait until a week before Christmas and then get the obligatory tree. We spend more time with our tree AFTER Christmas, but it's not the same then. Actually, last year we didn't even bother. Bah, humbug. I'm glad this year we got our act together and the timing couldn't have been more perfect with this snowstorm today. I had a "holiday moment" all to myself today hanging the ornaments with my cup of coffee, music playing, and snow falling outside. Substitute hot cocoa with whipped cream and a peppermint stick in it and insert Sadie by my side looking up at me lovingly and I just styled another picture. In reality, Sadie couldn't have cared less and was sleeping on the sofa.

Called my nurse for my blood counts taken last Friday and they are all good. So, I celebrated by shoveling the deck and driveway. I am still being careful with germs, but honestly my counts have been so good and steady, I have backed off a bit. Mom and I ventured out early in the morning on Black Friday before my chemo appointment. A couple hours was all I could take of the madness. Of course, Nintendo Wiis were sold out before 7am. My counts were a bit low that day and my nurse half jokingly warned me to stay away from Black Friday. Ooops, too late. I even thrust myself into a crowd at a gallery opening. Did I mention small gallery? We didn't stay long because it did make me a bit nervous, but it's just nice to participate in gatherings again.

Going in this Friday for my halfway chemo. Wonder if I will need the Ativan again like last time? Probably. I am one of those sleeping chemo receivers now. Camp Chemo has become Camp Sleepo. Heck, the Ativan might put me so out I'm a snorer too.

Speaking of sleep, I need to get me some now. But I will leave you with a question. What do you do at holiday time that makes you stop and say "yes, this is what the holidays are all about"? Is it your community tree lighting? Perhaps you are making homemade gifts? I know it's not the shopping because I've been out there amongst the shopping and I just don't feel it. Unless you shop at the small, local stores, then I'll by that. I'm curious where people find the Christmas spirit.

Just a picture to show you the snow outside and Sadie's favorite lookout spot.

8 comments:

Kelly Kane said...

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those small shop shoppers, I did some mall time and some online, and still need something for my mother and best friend... other than that, I'm done :) I just like the idea of giving and trying to think of something thoughtful to get for people... but I'm terrible at keeping their gifts a secret, so sometimes I just tell them :)

As for what exactly makes me feel festive - probably Christmas Eve at my aunt and uncle's... or just listening to Christmas music, like I've been doing since a week before Thanksgiving! I know, I'm a lunatic! Oooo and I usually watch When Harry Met Sally, which oddly always gets me in the holiday spirit...

I'm so impressed by you kicking ass with chemo! Shoveling, wow!!!

Someone should get you a medal for Christmas -- hint hint, Dennis!

XO

Sara and Jonn said...

So oddly enough, I do find my Christmas spirit while I am shopping - black Friday shopping too. I go every year with my sis, we get up at a crazy hour (3AM for me) and we are usually done by 9AM or so. The other place I find my Christmas is going up the hill near our house to cut down our tree. This year it was snowing while we were up there (a rare thing). And the last place I find my holiday spirit is in Lola telling me that everything she sees she wants to add to her list. It is a VERY LONG list by now!

Sorry you didn't get better snow for skiing but I am glad you were able to spend a nice, cozy day enjoying the snow fall!

Sara

Anonymous said...

Bummer there are no full santa gear pix! Next time. I am so happy your counts are holding steady. Mom and I were hoping you'd be able to stay outside during the santa run since we figured it'd be too cold for any germs to stick! We didn't like the idea of you being a snow bunny in the lodge with other potentially germie bunnies.

As for holiday spirit - the first snowfall, but it REALLY feels like the holidays when the hubster and I are up in Maine sipping spiked eggnog with you guys!

xoxo - best of luck on Friday. Is your PET scan scheduled yet?

Carissa said...

Your tree is beautiful! Good practice for the trimming party!! Don't worry that Sadie could care less. If you do a good job with my tree, Pippin will look at you lovingly and then flop on his back send a sweeping jet of pee in your and Dennis' direction! :) For those of you reading this who don't know me, Pippin is a dog!!)
As for Christmas spirit...I get it in so many little ways. I love the season. A lot of it is little traditions with me: picking out a tree with my parents and cutting it, singing carols (preferably Bing Crosby!!), all the hustle bustle prep of baking, shopping, sending cards, decorating; watching the classics like It's a Wonderful Life; seeing town dressed up and almost magical with greens and lights; all the smells: balsam, cookies, peppermint, apples, ham, etc; and having friends and family around...taking the time, even if it's once a year, to let people know that we appreciate them...ok, ok, I'm cheesy...I'll stop! I feel like Linus preaching to Charlie Brown! Bottom line is...I like getting presents!!! :)
(I was just kidding about the last part...)

Good luck on Friday Candace!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Candace, you have more grace and spirit than anyone I know (and you look damn gorgeous in a Santa wig). For us, seeing friends has always been the most important part of the holidays. And seeing you so vibrant and cheery has made our Christmas season extra special!

Anonymous said...

The spark of Christmas is found for me when I go to the cathedral's Festival of Lessons and Carols here in Atlanta. When that first high sparkling note of "Once in royal David's city" drifts up into the stone arches of the church, I know Christmas has arrived. But before that...it's the jazzy notes of "A Charlie Brown Christmas"...
Keep chugging along Candace-Bridget

Anonymous said...

Pennsylvania has had its first snowfall of the season. Very pretty, as always. I am now in New Hampshire to check out the snow and there is a bit more than we have at home but still very pretty.

Shopping small personal stores is an addiction for me and the only way to go. I hope I find some interesting items on our day out today into Peterborough, NH.

Silly me, I bought Stanley, my husband, his favorite can of nuts at a grocery store that we do not have at home. It will be a surprise which he will enjoy. I guess that is what it is all about.

Candace and Spencer have certainly introduced us to the caring factor of life. I guess that is really what it is all about. Near or far!

Our boat family!

Sending warm and caring thoughts always, foghornbarb

Unknown said...

Miami is strange around the holidays. They decorate, but tend to use decorations of the north—Santa sweltering in his suit when it’s 80 degrees outside, reindeer dehydrating in the tropical heat, icicle Christmas lights hanging from the roof, live Christmas trees that dry out in one day. Seriously, Miami, you can do better then that. Try wrapping lights around a palm tree, decorating your Christmas tree (fake is better) with tropical flowers, sticking a Santa hat on your lawn flamingo. I really don’t understand the use of conventional Christmas decorations down here.

So, I guess I feel the holidays when I fly up to NY to see all you fine folks. Home, friends, family, and Christmas appropriate weather.