Sunday, September 30, 2007

How do I feel now?

I feel...eh. Upon arriving home from chemo on Friday, I lost my Snickers Bar. Perhaps not the best choice if nausea is a worry, but it really wasn't when I left there. I felt strong and happy that I had won the fear battle. Alas, I got increasingly more nauseated on the drive home, walked into the house, and felt this feeling that I haven't felt in years. I tried to remember what to do when you have to vomit. I was out of practice. Running to the toilet was not coming to mind. Bucket was for some reason, and since I was in the kitchen, I quickly rifled through the pots in the cabinet and chose the spaghetti pot. Then, I took it outside and proceeded to use it on the deck, I think becasue Dennis was still outside but not real sure of my thought process on that one. Unmistakeable nutty, chocolatey....

I took an anti-nausea/sedative pill that evening and was dead to the world. Dennis was having phone converstations right next to me and I can't remember him being on the phone. I woke up the next day alert and feeling a ton better. No nausea, but the doc said to take another pill in the morning and so I did and wound up back in stupidville for hours. This is the same drug I liked so much while I was having chemo, but I hated now for how useless it made me. Dennis got me out of the house while still a bit doped to walk Sadie and that help the effects wear off completely. I still have a little nausea now and again, but I'd rather deal with being a little uncomfortable than out of my mind, thank you. And no, just because I'm not using them doesn't mean anyone else can :) More after the surgery on Tuesday to put the port in.

10 comments:

Melanie said...

Thanks for sharing this hiLARious story, sis!! Makes me laugh... I am glad you are able to laugh about it, too. Throwing up is never fun... the last time I did was after some questionable Mexican food. At least yours was nutty and chocolatey! Love you!!

Johnny Blaze said...

Laughter is the best medicine (and although Snickers really satisfies, it may not help settle tummies).

Hey, the last time I was in need to vomit I was doing a show! Prince Charming with food poisoning (and this was BEFORE your sister gave me the "special" apple pie, lol)

Let me know if I can help offer a laugh :)

Mike Rogers said...

Hello old friend! I'm glad to hear that you've got your treatments underway. As much as this is not much fun at all, it will be over before you know it, and you'll be back to life as usual. You've been on my mind a lot these days. Take good care of yourself, and give me a call when you feel like it.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog diary. This is so funny! My daughter doesn't vomit either. Hysterical!

So what is the name of those pills?


foghornbarb

Sara and Jonn said...

It is great to hear how things are going from your perspective. I have always thought that you and Mel with gifted with the art of story telling. Sorry to hear the nausea has hit.

Sara Fulkerson

Anonymous said...

Dennis darling, don't quit your day job! Photographer of the stars you are not! Although I may find something that will allow a really nifty t-shirt;-}
Pat (Producer Angelique Friday Night Follies & world famous Rock artist:<0)

Chris B said...

Great to hear you are in such great spirits! Not that I'm surprised. Both you and Dennis are both incredibly strong and incredibly goofy. Please know that I send all my best!

Chris

Anonymous said...

Hey there Hodgkins Warrior Princess. I found your blog through Kelly Kane's Chemopalooza website. My website is on the caringbridge.org website under the sign-in morgancyr
I've started my latest chemo cocktail, and strangely I'm just getting my first port (I had hickman-type catheters before) so we are both in the same boat in that regard.
I found it particularly funny that your poor departed Snickers bar was described in such detail. I totally recommend throwing up outside whenever possible. It just feels ever so slightly less icky than staring into the Big White Microphone.
Anyway. I hope all is well with your port. I definitely recommend Keeping Ahead of the nausea using the meds, like your doc suggested-it's way harder to get back to feeling good and sometimes you end up taking More different drugs trying to reclaim your food holding ability.

There I go again giving random advice to people I've never met.

Morgan

Unknown said...

Candace, you are Awesome! You have the best attitude—one that will allow you to completely beat this thing! I just have a few suggestions for future pre-throw up meals. Spaghetti is probably a bad idea, since you don’t want things to come up in string form. I’d avoid anything spicy since the return trip may be as painful as the first visit. Something colorful may be interesting—perhaps the bright blue of an icy Good Humor product. If you don’t enjoy blue, there is an array of colors and flavors to choose from for your vomiting pleasure thanks to the artificial ingredient factories in good old New Jersey.

Love you,
Emily

Kelly Kane said...

Hi Candace, I'm also a fellow cancer fighter, had stage 2a just like yourself. I wish you the best of luck, keeping a positive attitude (like you're doing) helps a great deal! Also, Morgan (who left you a comment before mine) is fabulous, and she always has good advice :) I second her suggestion to stay on top of your meds so that you don't get sick. I actually never threw up during my 6 months of chemo, I religiously took drugs for 4 days to make sure that I would never get sick...but beware, incase you weren't told in advance, most anti-naseau drugs cause constipation, and it's also not fun, so plan accordingly :) Anywho, I wish you the best in your cancer killing! Feel free to email me at kelly.kane@gmail.com if you have any questions.

Kelly