Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Jitters

Okay. Enough heckling already from the sister gallery. I know, I know. A lot has been going on. This election has me on pins and needles. I'm so nervous about the outcome. Cautiously confident for Obama. Completely unsure of our ballot referendums.

In Maine we have a question on the ballot about taxing beer, wine, and soda in order to fund our state health insurance called Dirigo. I was on this insurance for treatment and am still on it. A few weeks ago I would have said without doubt that the "Yes on One" side, which would repeal the tax and thus the funding, was going to win. Big Beverage has been pouring $3.5 million into TV ads and print ads for months. In the last two weeks the "No on One" side has turned on its burners with ads, such as mine, and a grassroots effort to educate the public about the truth behind question one. Mel has provided a link to a website with my ad in the previous post if you want to see it. It's ridiculous how outspent we are, but I feel as though we are closing the gap. We'll see if Maine will put their money where their mouth is. When polled, some 61% of Mainers say they would pay more for a statewide health care coverage program.

Also, I am collecting signatures for a petition in support of single payer health care. While the Dirigo insurance has done me no wrong, it has its problems and critics. A completely new approach such as single payer health care might be the answer. It's basically Medicare for all. We all pay a percentage of our incomes for our right to health care, much like Canada's system. No more insurance premiums, no copays, you can see the doctor of your choice, and non-elective procedures and surgeries are completely covered. This is a relatively new movement but will definitely be gaining strength as health care in this country begins its reform hopefully under Obama.

My parents move into their new house November 14th and we're all gathering there for Thanksgiving. Can't wait for that. Dennis, Sadie, and I are actually going up the weekend before to help cobble together a walkway to the front door among other small projects. It's so fun to see and hear how excited those two are about their house project.

Business is holding steady for me. So far, no bad affects from the economy, knock on wood. Dennis is still employed for the time being. We are very resourceful up here in Maine, so we are not fearing the worst should it come to that. I do fear for my dear sister and her husband in New York. Although, if anything should happen to their current jobs, they are in the best job market I suppose. Taking it day by day. I personally knew no one affected by the economy until I read a fellow Hodgkin's survivor's post that she was laid off. Now it's getting closer to home.

There you go. A mixed bag post of happy beginnings for my parents and nervousness feelings over the future. Until next time... hopefully not so long from now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sis - I'm sorry Prop 1 passed. I have faith that another way will be found to fund Dirigo! xoxo!